“Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another.” Anatole France
by my buddie Sean Patrick Simpson from Mindsetapprentice.com
Have you ever had a day in which you wake up, you go-go-go, and suddenly before you know it…the day’s over?
I know I have! Every now and then we get so caught up in all the little things we’re doing that we’ve lost control of our actions. Instead of them being intentional and driven by purpose, they are controlled by reaction and need.
How about we pause for a moment so we can bring the enjoyment back to our day, gain control, and consciously create?
Here are 6 simple steps you can do to accomplish that right now
1. Decide to relax…and give yourself permission to take a 5-20 minute break. ‘Deciding’ might sound trite, but this is the easiest step most people never take! We get so caught up in what we’re doing that merely the act of deciding to take a few moments for ourselves is far outside the realm of thought and therefore forgotten.
2. Step away! Let’s relax without distraction. Step away from your work. Close your laptop, mute your computer, turn off the TV and turn off the phone. Whatever it is you do, make sure you step away so you’re able to relax without distraction.
3. Sit, relax and close your eyes: Put yourself in the most comfortable position possible, without lying down so you don’t fall asleep. A relaxed ‘alert’ position is ideal: preferably sitting up, maybe even with some pillows supporting your back. Begin breathing slowly and deeply, focusing on the solar plexus expanding and contracting. Do this about three times.
4. Count Down: Continue step 3 while counting down slowly from 20-1. Focus on allowing the incessant thoughts to be released through clearing your mind. The key word is ‘allowing,’ though. If they’re still in control, let that be okay! It’s resistance that causes stress and angst, so just allow everything to be okay as you count down. Consciously enjoy this time no matter what.
5. Maintain relaxation for 5-20 minutes: Hopefully by the end of 20 counts you’ll have reached that relaxed state. If not, continue with some more counts. Again, whatever state you’re in, allow it to be. You’ll find that ending resistance can drastically improve your day. Once you get to this relaxed state, allow yourself to remain there for awhile.
6. Consciously awake: When you’ve reached and remained in a state of deep relaxation for a while and are feeling inspired to begin your day again, do it consciously. Now’s not the time to have your thoughts take back control and rule you again. Consciously make the choice that you are coming back to a wide awake, relaxed, and present state. Begin counting very slowly from 5-1. With each breath feel more energy thriving through your body, and let ‘1,’ be your mark to re-begin your day.
Relaxation : Take Action Now
Don’t just read this! Embody it! If you’re just reading a bunch of personal growth stuff all around the net and not taking action on any of it, you’re wasting your time. Why would you do that? What’s the purpose? You don’t attain any wisdom by learning knowledge and never applying it.
Take the time right now to practice this exercise and get it in your body. If it speaks to you, great…continue doing it for another 30 days to make it a habit and observe how it affects your days.
If you enjoyed this post please help me out by passing it along to your friends and ‘like’ our Facebook Page. Also, if you have any of your own insights please share them in the comments section.