“Our True Divinity is in Our Power to Create” – John Perkins
How To Be Creative
We are all born creative. As young children our minds are not confined to a rigid way of thinking. The line between reality and our dream world is a blurry one. Just observe how young kids are able to switch worlds with such ease.
They will be playing, you talk to them, they listen to you, then as soon as you’re done they switch back to their dream world as easy as changing TV channels. You can catch the glimmer in their eye; they really are living in a world of infinite possibilities.
If we want to reclaim the creativity that was once ours we need to get rid of all our social conditioning’s, otherwise whatever we create is truly not our own unique creation. Our social conditioning’s only allow us to modify and copy ideas that where never really ours. To be creative in the purest sense is to be an individual, to not allow our creations to be colored by the mass psychology.
If you really observe creative people, you will see that the more creative they are, the more assured they are in their individuality. Creativity is also something that comes to you when you are healthy, relaxed, and calm. The desire to create naturally arises within you when you are feeling good.
Getting Ready To Create
Your Being: Before you create something of lasting beauty make sure your being is in harmony. Achieve harmony in mind, body, and spirit. Being in tune with these three aspects makes you more aware, conscious, and open to creativity.
Feeling: Become aware of your feelings, they let you know how you are interacting with your environment. Your feelings know no boundaries, they transcend logic. You simply need to allow your feelings to express themselves through you. Become drunk in your feelings, and be the medium in which the universe creates something new.
Action: The ideal place to take action is from a calm relaxed state of being. When you are relaxed and aware of your being and you feel a hunch, you will take the appropriate action. Actions arising from a calm being are total because they are not hindered by past or future; it’s simply a response to the present. This is the perfect response because it is not contrived. You also have the energy necessary to take action, when you are relaxed you just go on accumulating energy.
When you take action make sure it is just not an activity you are doing. Let your actions be unrehearsed inspired actions in response to the present. An activity always has a certain motivation to it. When you are really relaxed there is no urge to be participating in activity.
If you make your painting an activity, it will then become a goal that always exists in the future. It will not have the beauty of a painting that arises from you in the present moment, when you become engrossed and integrated with it. When you are so relaxed that you feel empty, everything comes out. “Wei Wu Wei” is a Taoist term which translates as action that is non-action, from the stillness that comes from a totally relaxed state, action will arise from inaction.
Being creative the deepest parts of your being are activated. You feel an amazing feeling of connection to your higher self. When you are being creative you realize that you already are everything you always wanted to be. All that matters is your creation and the creative process, your ambitions fade away, because they belong to your ego.
“every child is an artist. the problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up” Pablo Picasso
Obstacles Keeping You from Creativity
1. Recognition: Society has made us believe that something is not creative or beautiful unless it is recognized. This is non sense, when you create something do it only because you get personal fulfillment from it. If you like to dance, then dance, don’t worry if you will be recognized for it. If you do become recognized, so be it, even better, but don’t let this be the focus on why you create something.
2. Your Beliefs: When you are creating something become immersed in the experience, put your beliefs aside. Your beliefs make you closed, because when you believe something you don’t accept new perspectives and ideas. Be open to the experience you are having. Anything can become a creative experience if you bring enough awareness and love into it.
3. Intellect: You have to be able to transcend your thinking mind; your knowledge binds you to seeing the world to what you know. Through meditation you can rise above your thinking mind, to be in a space that has immense clarity. Just learning to watch your thoughts and mind without becoming attached to them.
4. Trying to be perfect: There is no such thing as perfection. When you are creating something don’t judge it, just become consumed with your experience, it will be perfect in that moment.
5. Being Self Conscious: Just remember that what you create is not really your creation but the universes, you are simply the medium of how the universe expresses it self. As soon as you become self conscious you worry about how others will perceive what you are doing. You are trying to put your stamp on it, because of your ego. When you create through the ego you are constantly seeking approval from others. You will not create something unique because you are trying to please everyone.
How To Be More Child Like
1. Be Ready To Learn: When you don’t know something you are open to new possibilities. Cultivate the attitude of being open and ready to explore unknown experiences.
2. Find Beauty in the Ordinary: Beauty is all around you, you just need to become aware of it. Learn to observe your environment without judgment, without verbalization, let its beauty reveal itself to you. Go to a park, sit on a bench, take in all the sights and sounds.
3. Dare to Dream like Peter Pan: Impossible is nothing when you are from never-never land 🙂
Hope you enjoyed my article on how to be creative. I hope you realize that creativity is intrinsic to your nature, go into the unknown and create something new. That is the best contribution you can make.
If you enjoyed this post please help me out by passing it along to your friends and ‘like’ our Facebook Page. Also, if you have any of your own insights please share them in the comments section.