“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Traveling Companion: Seeing The World With Your Partner In Crime
Traveling is by far one of my most favorite things to do in this life. Going into the land of the unknown can awaken many aspects of our being.
Many of us because of our monotonous routines have unfortunately become stagnate. Traveling can invoke a whole new vigor, a new clarity.
If you are having these feelings of stagnation, it may be time for you to go on a little adventure to wake yourself up.
The type of experience you have can vary greatly because of the many variables that are involved, things such as: location, money, weather, politics, food, language, people, attitude, expectations, transportation, etc.
From my experience traveling has been most rewarding when it was shared with the right partner. Sharing a unique experience with someone will only magnify your experience and can create a great bond that can last your whole life.
Before you embark on a backpacking adventure throughout Europe, make sure you do your best to choose a traveling partner you feel will add value to your trip.
One of my most recent trips was truly a very fulfilling experience, due in large part to my traveling companion Mascha. Mascha had many qualities that I feel you should look for in a traveling companion.
(Video of our trip to “Tortuguero” in Costa Rica)
Qualities You Should Look For
1. Open Minded: She was very open to seeing and trying new things. If you go with someone who is stuck in their ways, your experience might be limited severely because of their influence on your decision making.
2. Not Afraid to Get Dirty: Depending on where you go make sure you choose someone who is not afraid of experiencing rugged environments.
3. Good Listener and Cares about your Opinion.
4. Good Sense of humor: Going into the unknown you never know what will happen, and when things don’t go exactly your way, you can balance it out with a good sense of humor.
5. Smart and Worldly: It is always a great when you are able to converse on a variety of topics. When the other person is not only a good listener but will give you feedback and contribute their own unique perspective. If you travel with someone who can only talk about a limited amount of subjects, you might end of getting really bored and annoyed with the other person. Make sure you get to know another persons interests before hand and see if they are compatible with yours or at least are interesting to you.
6. Strong and Independent: It is nice when you know that the other person can take care of themselves. If someone becomes too dependent on you during the trip, you might grow to resent the other person later on.
7. Likes to share: No one likes someone who is stingy, it is always great when you travel with someone who is really generous and giving.
So next time you start planning your next adventure, make sure you also plan wisely on who you would like to share it with. The world is full of adventure make sure you get out there and participate. Happy Travels.
If you enjoyed this post please help me out by passing it along to your friends and ‘like’ our Facebook Page. Also, if you have any of your own insights please share them in the comments section.