“We are always the same age inside.” Gertrude Stein
Do You Remember What It Was Like To Be a Kid?
As you take a look at your daily planner, do you see a day full of meetings, presentations, conference calls, lunch dates, and getting your oil changed? Play time is no where to be seen, where did all the fun go?
Do you remember the days of never ending games of hide and go seek? The whole day was basically play time. We also had the luxury of being fully present in whatever we were doing. We were little people who were free from society’s expectations. We were not lost in the past or imagining the future, just deeply immersed in the now.
If you really take a look at kids playing in a park you will see that they are moving with divine energy. They will run and jump endlessly after a butterfly just for the sheer joy of it.
“Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.” Tom Wargo
How To Be A Kid Again
Children don’t try to control or suppress their energy; they simply let it express itself in the most natural way in the moment. They don’t think, “hey look at the beautiful butterfly, I wonder where it’s going? Should I chase after it? Will I look stupid?” No, they just feel the energy bubble up inside and spontaneously allow it to happen, no thinking just feeling. By not suppressing their energies and allowing it to flow, they are constantly tapping into that inner source of infinite energy. Once they stop moving they let their energies settle and gradually go into a state of peaceful sleep. The reason they sleep so peacefully and naturally is that they don’t suppress anything so things don’t carryover into their sleep.
Take the time to think about the last time you really let loose and played like a child. A time when you let all your physical movements dance with joy. Not worrying about how your actions would be perceived by others. A body free of tension and stiff mechanical movements. When you allow your body to be completely loose and fluid you will begin to notice your subtle energy body. You will walk gracefully and feel weightlessness inside you.
When you carry unnecessary tension, anxiousness, and stress within you, you feel heavy and stiff. Your energies are constricted and not allowed to flow.
Activities To Let Loose
Below are just a few suggestions that you can plug into your daily planner. When participating in these activities try to move your focus to less thinking and more feeling. Really put your attention on how the experience is making you feel, don’t verbalize it.
How to be a kid again is all about learning to feel, as we get older we become mainly mind oriented, you just need to learn to bring your awareness back to your body.
1. Salsa Dancing (dancing in general): This is a great style of dance because it’s very fluid and the music is very lively. Learn to feel the music, let it dictate how your body moves. Take lessons to learn the basics but just really try and move to how the music is making you feel.
2. Soccer, basketball, baseball, etc.
3. Music festivals: Get out there, meet some new people and just let loose.
4. Painting: Tap into the way your feeling and put it down on a canvas.
5. Playing with your kids as if you are one of them.
6. Plan a field day.
7. Water balloon or water gun fights.
8. Climb a tree or rock. Be safe of course
9. Take acting lessons.
10. Pick up an instrument. Who cares if you suck have fun and you just might get good.
11. Sing a song, go to a karaoke bar.
12. Let yourself laugh with out censoring it.
13. Practice some Yoga.
14. Go to an amusement park: Forget everything and just enjoy all the feelings you experience.
Becoming More Childlike: Quick Tips On How To Be Kid Again
1. Suspend your beliefs and feel the experience.
2. Don’t hesitate: If you feel like doing something just do it and stop once you are no longer getting enjoyment from it. If you get the urge to ride your bike, what’s stopping you?
3. Be Open: Kids step out into the world and declare “Here I am world, show me what you got”.
4. Be direct: When kids are discussing what to do, they simply say “wouldn’t it be fun if we….” and then proceed to do it.
5. Put your ego aside: Before you were conditioned by your parents and society, you where in constant bliss by always exploring the unknown without thinking of how it might affect your ego.
6. Reclaim your child like creativity. If you learn how to be a kid again, your creativity will naturally explode.
Hope you enjoyed this article on remembering how to be a kid again, this life is a game so get out there and have some fun. If you find my site valuable please pass it along to your friends and family. I really appreciate you helping me in my personal mission to empower as many people as I can.
(editors note: originally posted on 09/16/2009)